Thursday, October 23, 2014

Work Experience

Yesterday was my 5th week at work experience with the solicitors in Clane.  Yesterday was different because I went to Court.  The other weeks I have just been working at the computer in the office but this week he brought me to the District Court in Naas.  When I first went in the solicitor had to talk to his client and I wasn't allowed to listen so I had to go stand at the door of the court room and wait for it to be opened.  It was a bit awkward though because I was standing on my own and everyone was looking at me.  I waited patiently and was looking around at all the solicitors who were talking to their clients.  Some had the traditional white wigs on and most wear wearing the traditional black cloaks.  There were a few guards also who were standing with two guys in handcuffs.  When the doors opened I followed the crowd in, I didn't know where to sit so I sat at the back with the public.  After a few minutes when Arthur came in, he brought me up to the front to sit with him and the rest of the solicitors.  It was a bit embarrassing because some of them thought i was sitting in the wrong seat but I got comfortable after a while. After about ten minutes the judge came down and ordered silence in the court.  He called each case and both the solicitor and the client stood up and argued the case.  The judge made a decision which was mainly just another court date and then moved on to the next case.  It was kind of difficult to understand what they were saying and to follow what was going on.  It was a very long day as there was 70 cases to get through.  It was really funny though because a lot of phones kept going off during the court and the Judge was getting pretty angry.  He even said that the next person who interrupted the court would be put in prison.  Thank God nobody's phone went off after that.  Most of the cases were about tax and traffic issues but there were a few about drugs and burglaries which were interesting.  It didn't finish until ten past 2 and I was home in Clane at half 2.  The solicitor I am doing my work experience with had to go back and argue his next case which was a family law matter so I wasn't allowed to listen to it anyway.  It was a very long day but I enjoyed it as it was something different than just working in the office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment